There are so many different diets out there, and one that seems to be quite the popular one these days is the Paleolithic (Paleo) diet. Designed to mimic the eating habits of cavemen at the beginning of time, the Paleo diet, which is based on Dr. Loren Cordain’s books, is protein-heavy and low-carb. A lot of people swear by it and adapt it into their lives as either a quick fix diet or incorporate it as an every day lifestyle. There are, as always, those naysayers who have something to say about everything. There will always be those people who have negative things to say and the Paleo diet is not immune to that.
Here are five of the most negative things people are saying about the Paleo diet:
1. People do not become healthier by consuming large amounts of meats, eggs and seafood. By shunning away the whole grains and legumes, the diet does lack the nutritional value of those important things.
2. It’s a passing fad diet. Like all the others, it will probably prove that statement wrong. It claims to be “the world’s healthiest diet.”
3. There’s no way to actually tell if you lose weight off the diet. If you do lose weight the first week – it’s water weight that could easily creepy.
4. The high-protein, low carbohydrate diet craze has been linked to heart disease, high cholesterol, cancer as well as kidney damage. high protein and low carbs puts quite the stress on the body.
5. It’s quite the expensive diet. After all, you need to hit the meat section with the butchers, one of the most expensive parts of the grocery store.
(Photo by Chris Hondros/Getty Images)