With summer in full swing, there’s nothing like making meals on the grill. Summertime is the perfect time to throw on various foods on the grill for that wonderful taste. From various veggies to meats to even fruits, there are a number of dishes you can make with just a grill as your means of cooking. Tired of consuming straight meat and veggies from the grill? Why not try making and grilling a pizza?!
Here are five ways to grill a pizza to perfection:
1. Get organized. Grilling pizza is a very quick way to cook pizza, but you need to have everything ready in a pinch during the process as it cooks VERY quickly! Plan your toppings, and you might even want to precook your veggies and meats before the dough for an even cooking.
2. Make the dough a day early, or purchase already made dough. There are a variety of pizza dough recipes or you can just cruise the aisle at the grocery for quick dough. When it comes to cooking the dough, thin is in – and helps in cooking the dough evenly and easily. Also, don’t make a raised rim as it will interfere with the cooking process.
3. Precook one side of the pizza dough. Since you will probably be making several smaller pizzas compared to one big one, it might be faster if you precook one side of the dough to be able to focus on the toppings and ensure a full cooking without burning or undercooking the pizza.
4. When it comes to preheating the grill, this is very important, as the difference between cooking a pizza in the oven versus a grill is that it needs to be very hot. Get the grill up to 600 degrees Fahrenheit.
5. When grilling the dough, roll it out and place it directly on the hot grill. Cook for about 2 minutes and then rotate it 90 degrees and cook for another minute to get those nice grill marks. Turn the dough over and immediately put on your desired toppings. Cover the grill to ensure the cheese melts and cook for another two minutes. Don’t forget to rotate after a minute and then cook for another. When it’s done, take off the grill, cut into slices, serve and ENJOY!
Photo by Joe Raedle/Getty Images