Oh, coffee – many people can’t function in the mornings without it and many just can’t seem to quit drinking it. From Starbucks to Coffee Bean to Dunkin’ Donuts to mom and pop coffee shops galore to the k cups you have at home, there’s obviously something special about the aromatic and fragrant bean. It’s a staple for breakfast in many American households and it’s so special that it has its own break time name. While we know that we definitely love the bold and smoky taste it provides, there are a number of facts about coffee that we don’t know.
Here are five things you probably didn’t know about coffee:
1. According to legend, the discovery of coffee actually began with a herd of goats in Ethiopia. In the 9th century, an Ethiopian herder discovered that his goats had eaten a bean that made them act crazy and supposedly even had them dancing. They later named those beans “coffee beans.”
2. Coffee is technically a fruit. Yes, you read that right. Coffee beans are actually the pit of a berry, which makes them a fruit.
3. As much as we love coffee and can probably drink heaps and heaps of it, that isn’t a very good idea. In fact, drinking too much coffee can actually kill you – in adults, 100 cups of coffee in one sitting is lethal. Be careful!
4. Instant coffee was invented by none other than George Washington – and no, not the first president! A man named George Washington invented the first mass-produced instant coffee.
5. You can actually swim in coffee if you wish to – all you have to do is pay a visit to a specific spa in Japan. While you might not want to take even a sip of it, the Yunessun spa resort in Hakone, Japan allows customers to bathe in coffee. Hmmm, we’re not sure about that one…
Photo by Sean Gallup/Getty Images