Tax Season Question: How Do I Change My Address With the IRS?

Tax Preparation

According to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), one of the most commonly asked questions is how to notify the IRS that you have moved. It’s a very simple procedure, but it seems that many people worry that a new address will somehow delay the processing of their income taxes and cause them to wait even longer for their refunds – those of us who owe every year wouldn’t exactly mind if the IRS lost track of us. However, it’s a very commonly asked question and it’s one that comes with a very simple answer.

To change your address with the IRS, you have a few options.

Put it on your tax return – Since the IRS processes your income tax returns every year, just put the new address on it and that’s all

File form 8822 – Just head to the IRS website and download this form, fill it out and mail it in

Mail a written statement – On a piece of paper, write down your name, your old address, your new address, your Social Security Number and then send it to the IRS at the address that meets your personal information right here

Call the IRS – 800-829-1040 is the number to call. Be prepared to answer some personal questions such as your name, your address of old, your new address, your Social Security Number and maybe a few other minor details

Online – Use the Where’s My Refund  tool. Fill out the information it asks for and then follow the prompts that ask you to change your address. This method only works if your refund was returned to the IRS, though

As you can see, the easiest way to change your address with the IRS is simply to add it to your new return. It’s simple and does not delay the processing of your return.

Photo by Getty Images


Leave a Reply