Whether you’re burned out from a summer vacation or you didn’t get to take one, choosing to go on a journey during the fall can be a wise and cost-effective decision. The weather’s better and you can simply get more for your money due to lower demand. There are also fall trips for every taste, from trying to live the luxe life in NYC to backpacking excursions in Wyoming, or a fun jaunt over to London.
Here are ten destinations and tips to maximize your autumn excursion:
1. Visit the Mouse! Orlando (and Disney World) can be had for a steal during the fall as the demand for rooms plummets. What are some of the deals? The popular Nickelodeon hotel in Orlando features the convenience of suites (up to 3-bedroom models) and rates that can fall under $110 a night. For even more direct Disney access, look at the Downtown Disney Wyndham Lake Buena Vista.
2. Work on your South Beach tan. Miami remains warm (but not hot) in the fall and can be a great destination for people living in the northern part of the U.S. that want to hold onto summer a bit longer. The Majestic hotel in South Beach and the Marco Polo in North Miami are both good options for under $100 a night.
3. Benefit from unused inventory! Hotel rooms are similar to any other product, where there is surplus inventory during periods of low demand. Hotels want to fill up rooms, but they can’t always promote their lowest rates. Look at unpublished rates such as those from Getaroom.com to find the best deals that help you take advantage of low inventory situations found in the fall.
4. Head to Vegas for international flavor. Visit the pyramid at the Luxor or the Eiffel Tower at Paris Las Vegas for some international flair without the expense and travel time of Europe. Las Vegas can be very cheap during the fall, with rates under $100 for four-star properties. Travel in early fall means you can still comfortably enjoy the pool.
5. Big Apple on the cheap. While NYC is expensive during any time of the year, the hotel prices do fluctuate downwards during the fall. There are many four-star hotels that are near major attractions such as Times Square or Rockefeller Center that provide travelers with good accommodations at attractive pricing. The fall means less crowds and you can also avoid the traffic/transportation hassles of late-season snow.
6. Enjoy high tea in style in peace and quiet. London is of course massively crowded in the summer, but during the fall you can travel like a local. For hotel deals, consider the Ambassadors hotel in Chelsea, which provides you with easy access to all of London’s top attractions such as the Tower of London, Big Ben and Parliament, the National Gallery, and the massive London Eye observation wheel.
7. Dive into American history in DC. It’s hard to appreciate the capital’s monuments and various treasures when it’s 90 degrees and there are hundreds of thousands of cranky tourists with you. Head to DC during the fall for great weather and much easier access to all of the spectacular attractions such as the Lincoln Memorial and the National Gallery of Art. Hotels such as the Washington Plaza are a great choice for budget seekers. DC offers lower rates during the weekend because many lobbyists and other workers take up the available rooms during the week (remember that supply-demand rule).
8. Head to the great northwest. Exploring North America’s fine cities such as Seattle, Portland, and Vancouver can be very enjoyable in the fall. Many of these cities are best explored with a warm cup of coffee in hand, so you need cooler fall temperatures for your visit. Fall brings lower prices and uncrowded access to wonderful art exhibits and outdoors activities.
9. Enjoy the fall foliage. This classic fall trip can be really enjoyable for those who appreciate natural beauty. Visit the upper Northeast, Appalachia, or the mountains of North Carolina to find a variety of colors and tree types. Consider a bed and breakfast or non-chain hotel for the best fall deals.
10. Go wild in Jackson Hole. Known for its great skiing, Jackson Hole offers fall travelers a glimpse at the changing of the seasons and comfortable temps. The area offers easy access to acres of National Parks and forest and luxury accommodations for those who need some pampering after hiking.
After reading these ten tips, you can see the main benefits of fall travel which are to avoid the heat, the crowds, and the high room rates. Pick one of these ten destinations to have an exciting and affordable fall trip that might have you say goodbye to summer vacation for good.
Photo by Aaron Davidson/Getty Images for SiriusXM